Any typical food orientated Instagram isn’t getting a follow from me without a plethora of flawlessly stacked pancake photos. What else can possibly get you more hot n’ bothered on a Sunday morning?
Actually, please refrain from answering that question.
What these pictures sent down from the heavens above don’t give away, is the insane amount of calories and harmful ingredients that these layers of goodness consume.
Two chocolate chip pancakes from IHOP are estimated to be at around 500 calories and about 80-90 grams of carbs. To put it in perspective for you: That’s almost 150 minutes of walking, 62 minutes of jogging, or 45 minutes of swimming.
Being health conscious does not mean that you have to give up all your favorite foods. It means being conscious of what goes into your body and finding healthier alternatives to your favorite foods.
I played around with simple ingredients that I always have around the house and created what is my new go-to brunch recipe.
Pre-workout, post-workout, or just because you really want some pancakes, this recipe is pleasing to the eye and stomach.
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- Mix together mashed banana, 2 eggs, and vanilla.
- Add cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Then add oats and any desired extras such as chocolate chips or blueberries.
- Flip pancakes every 30-40 seconds. Remove from pan and place a small amount of nut butter on the hottest side of pancake. Let melt, then top with sliced bananas, and continue to stack pancakes.
- Top with a drizzle of local honey.
Follow me on Instagram for an inside look on what goes down in my kitchen @AmeliaLovesKale